Tuesday 20 July 2010

Slime

The Pie is a strange child. I bought him some play slime from a craft shop. The idea is that you mould it into monster shapes and put it in a pre-made haunted house. Unsurprisingly, the Pie had other ideas. First, he carried it around with him for a whole day, refusing to be parted from it even at Sunday school - the teacher had brought in some teddy bears for the children to 'look after'. She was not particularly impressed when I told her that Pie would probably eschew Tedward in favour of his box of slime. Sure enough, the box of slime was duly fed, watered, and cuddled all morning. I am not Sunday school's favourite parent. I think they think I'm 'dodgy'.

This morning I came downstairs to find the Pie had scaled the tall bookcase and retrieved the box of slime. Today was a whole new day though - rather than cuddles, the unfortunate slime found itself smeared all over the carpet while the Kong rolled around in it hooting wickedly. I managed to dislodge the Kong from the slime, and the slime from the carpet, but for some reason, the Kong now glows in the dark. I'm fairly sure it's not his natural reactivity.

My lovely neighbour/landlady/friend came back from her hols today. The Pie saw her car in the drive and immediately demanded to go round. I hastily cut some of the more passable flowers in the garden, thrust them into the Pie's eager clutches and took them round. Despite the fact that she'd just got back, both boys batted their (incredibly long and dark) eyelashes at her and somehow they disappeared round her house all afternoon, returning with a Buzz Lightyear doll and tons of overexcitement after I'd had a nap.

The more exciting development round here, however, is that the new people have moved in next door. Mum and Dad seem nice enough; however, for the Pie, the only one who matters is the daughter, who is 10, and who peered over the gate and said 'Hello. I'm your new neighbour. I'm SOOOO glad my new neighbour has a little boy for me to play with. I was SOOOO worried it would be incredibly boring round here.' And with that, she flicked her hair and pranced off inside, oblivious to the Pie's jaw hitting the deck and the Kong's eyes opening a mile wide in astonishment...

This is going to be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment